- This event has passed.
Territorial Governance for Sustainable Food Systems virtual event
23 July 2021 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
This United Nations Food Systems SummitPre-Summit Parallel Session will discuss the contribution of territorial approaches to design and establish an inclusive multi-level governance architecture and coherent policy frameworks to transform food systems, advance equitable livelihoods and achieve the SDGs.
Food systems transformation is vital to address numerous global challenges at various scales, including achieving the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals. Food systems policies must address the need to reduce poverty, eliminate hunger, reduce malnutrition, and improve health by addressing diet-related disease, conserve biodiversity, restore ecosystems, address the climate crisis and strengthen synergies across urban and rural areas. These interconnected challenges are influenced by a number of drivers, including population growth and increasing urbanization, conflict, climate change, land and natural resource use, and changes in consumer tastes, incomes, and preferences, as well as widening inequalities and broader economic transformations.
It is increasingly recognized that these interrelated challenges can be better addressed by governments at local, national, and supranational levels through territorial approaches. These highlight the importance of effective governance and institutions to the implementation of coherent and complementary food systems policies. This is the case, for example, of cities of different scales that have taken up food system planning and governance.
The event will be held in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish. The session will be recorded.
Moderation: Dr. Bruno Losch– Research Director, CIRAD
14:00 – 14:20 Opening Remarks
- Mrs. Amina Mohammed, United Nations Deputy Secretary General, Chair of the United Nations Sustainable Development Group (video message)
- Mr. Giorgio Marrapodi, Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ambassador, Director General Cooperation for Development and Italian representative on the UNFSS Advisory Committee (tbc)
- Ms. Maria Helena Semedo, Deputy Secretary General Climate and Natural Resources, FAO
- Ms. Aziza Akhmouch, Head of the Cities, Urban Policies and Sustainable Development Division, OECD
14:20 – 15:10 Speakers
- Mrs. Maria Squeff, Argentina Representative FSS Advisory Committee Former CFS Chair
- Ambassador Armindo Fernandes, Director General, Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries (Regional Level)
- Mr. Jorge Bom Jesus, Prime Minister from São Tomé e Principe, President of the National Food Security and Nutrition Council
- Ms. Ada Colau, Mayor of Barcelona (tbc)
- Ms. Emilia Saiz, Secretary General, United Cities and Local Governments
15:10 – 15:20 Open Discussion
15:20- 15:25 Summary of Key Messages
Ms. Lee Ann Jackson, Head of the Agro-food Trade and Markets Division, Trade and Agriculture Directorate, OECD
15:25 – 15:30 Concluding Remarks
Mr. Maximo Torrero, Chief Economist, FAO